Welcome to Planet Zork!
It is the year 3140. It is now possible for Homo sapiens to build planets, and genetically engineer or create plants and animals to live on them. Scientist have decided to seek the inputs of creative young people for this task. They are looking for a group of 4-5 students to design a food web within a habitat. Each student will have to create one living organism, e.g. a producer, consumer or decomposer that is adapted to survive in this envronment. Plan your food web as a group before designing and drawing your individual organism.
Facts about Planet Zork
- Low annual rainfall range from 20 – 60 cm, but may exceed 100 cm at the highlands.
- Low evaporation rate
- 4 seasons are present
- winters: long & cold, average temp. below -56 °C
- summers : short, average temp. 10 °C
- Experiences strong winds: 48 to 97 km/h higher at mountainous region
- Permanently frozen layer of soil – permafrost -> restricts plant growth; during summer, it melts and results in waterlogged soil.
- Vegetation is mostly non-woody, few tall & large plants.
- Nutrient cycling is slow and dead matter tends to accumulate
Tammy – producer
Avril (that’s me) – primary consumer
Emily – secondary consumer
Xiao Jian – decomposer
This will be a record of our thinking and design processes. Stay tuned 🙂