Simulation: Fossweb.com >>Populations and Ecosystems
Results of experiment
Level 1 – Eat insects
- The brown walkingsticks were the easiest to find
- The green-brown walkingsticks were the hardest to find
When there was a time limit on feeding:
- The brown walkingsticks survived worst
- The green-brown walkingsticks survived best
- The green and green-brown walkingsticks were able to blend into the bush environment due to their similar body colouring.
- The brown walkingsticks were least able to blend into the environment as they had contrasting body colouring.
- Due to time constraint, predators ate the walkingsticks that they could notice most easily, i.e. the brown walkingsticks
Level 2 – Eat insects in 3 different environments
The walkingsticks with the colour traits that did not blend into the environment died out quickly, while the number of walkingsticks with colour traits that blended into the environment gradually increased. This shows that as time passed, the walkingsticks adapted their body colour to suit the environment they lived in.